Download A Peacemaking Approach to Criminology: A Collection of by Louis J. Gesualdi PDF

By Louis J. Gesualdi

A peacemaking method of criminology is a humane, nonviolent, and medical method of the therapy of crime and the criminal. This choice of twenty-two essays presents a entire advent to a peacemaking method of criminology.

Show description

Read or Download A Peacemaking Approach to Criminology: A Collection of Writings PDF

Best war & peace books

Peace through Law

Reprint of the single version. Kelsen [1881-1973] departs from his theories on natural legislations and right here proposes a formulation for foreign peace. He proffers "peace assured via obligatory adjudication of overseas disputes," (Part I): the formation of an international courtroom with the authority to solve foreign conflicts, and "peace assured through person accountability for violations of foreign law," (Part II): that particular statesmen take own ethical and obligation for battle crimes and different acts of violation dedicated by means of their kingdom.

One Nation Underground: The Fallout Shelter in American Culture

For the half-century length of the chilly struggle, the fallout look after used to be a apparently American preoccupation. caused in 1961 by means of a hawkish speech via John F. Kennedy, the fallout guard controversy—"to dig or to not dig," as enterprise Week positioned it on the time—forced many american citizens to grapple with deeply annoying dilemmas that went to the very center in their self-image approximately what it intended to be an American, an upstanding citizen, and an ethical person.

The propaganda of peace : the role of media and culture in the Northern Ireland peace process

Whilst political competitors Ian Paisley and Martin McGuiness have been proven as First Minister and Deputy First Minister of a brand new Northern eire govt in could 2007, a bankruptcy was once closed on Northern Ireland’s stricken prior. A dramatic realignment of politics had introduced those irreconcilable enemies together--and the media performed an important position in persuading the general public to simply accept this startling swap.

Additional info for A Peacemaking Approach to Criminology: A Collection of Writings

Example text

They successfully argue that the centralization of wealth and 41 42 Chapter 11 power in the hands of such a few has given rise to a host of white-collar wrongdoings. Moreover, Simon and Hagan demonstrate that the people most adversely affected by white-collar wrongdoings tend to be the poorest members of their societies. S. and global economy. The presence of such conglomerates, as shown by Simon and Hagan’s work, increases the probability of an abundance of hurtful economic practices. Such practices include the following: 1.

3 The authors examine and debunk many public myths regarding crime and criminal justice. Some of the myths challenged by the authors include the following: 35 36 Chapter 10 Myth—A majority of missing children are abducted by strangers. Reality—The official numbers of missing children in the United States not only include stranger abductions, but also teenage runaways and parental abductions. Runaways actually make up almost 98% of the missing children, whereas parental abductions make up the remaining 2%.

The authors conclude quite to the contrary. They examine both cross-national and longitudinal data with respect to punishment practices. Specifically, incarceration rates and practices with respect to the use of capital punishment are analyzed. In both cases, the work shows that the United States is not more lenient than other comparable societies. As is well known, the United States has the highest incarceration rates of all Western democracies (currently in excess of 500:100,000). The United States is the only Western democracy that still uses the death penalty and is among a small minority of nations in which juveniles can be executed for crimes.

Download PDF sample

Rated 4.13 of 5 – based on 29 votes